Leading up to the 2015 AFL draft, here at Sporting HQ, we take a look at some of the biggest AFL draft steals in the the history of the AFL draft.
James Hird, p79, 1990, Essendon
One of the most decorated Essendon players to have played the game, Hird is an Essendon club legend and despite the scandal during his coaching tenure, is still held in high regard by the bombers. A Brownlow medalist and a two-time premiership player, Hird is one of the all time legends of the game and being taken at pick 79, an absolute bargain for the Bombers.
- 253 games, 343 goals (1992-2007)
- 2 premierships (1993, 2000 as captain)
- 1996 Brownlow Medal
- 5 All-Australian jumpers (1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2003)
- 5 best-and-fairests (1994, 1995, 1996, 2003, 2007)
- 2000 Norm Smith Medal
- 2x club leading goalkicker (1995, 1996)
- Essendon captain (1998-2005)
- Australian Football Hall Of Fame inductee
- Essendon Team Of The Century
- No.3 in the Champions Of Essendon